This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Healthcare and economic assistance


 Healthcare and economic assistance

Healthcare assistance

With the exception of posted workers under Italian law, Italian citizens who have transferred or transfer their residence to a foreign country with which no convention on health matters is in force, such as Mozambique and Eswatini, lose the right to the assistance provided by the National Health Service when registering on AIRE (Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero).

If they temporarily return to Italy, Italian citizens residing abroad with emigrant status (as well as pension holders paid by Italian social security institutions), can access emergency hospital treatment, provided free of charge, for a maximum period of ninety days in the calendar year, if they do not have public or private insurance coverage.

The person concerned shall certify his or her status as an emigrant by means of a substitutive certification declaration to be submitted directly to the competent ASL, at the time of the service. It is therefore no longer necessary to obtain certification from the Embassy's Consular Office.

Falls within the definition of the status of emigrant:
1. Who was born in Italy, has Italian citizenship, resides abroad and is registered on AIRE.
2. Who was born abroad, has Italian citizenship, has resided in Italy and has been registered in the Resident Population Registry Office (ANPR) of a Municipality and has subsequently transferred his/her residence abroad by registering on AIRE.

Economic assistance

The Consular Office of the Embassy may, compatibly with the funds available, grant to Italian citizens permanently resident in Mozambique, Eswatini or Botswana and who are in a situation of proven necessity, a subsidy of an absolutely exceptional character.

An Italian citizen residing in Italy or in another consular district, who is facing unforeseen economic difficulties and cannot avail himself of the help of family members or third parties (for example through companies authorised to transfer cash), may be granted a loan compatible with the funds available, which the person concerned undertakes to return to the Minister of Treasury.